Pages

The Ponder Days

I am just a sojourner, an artist wandering through life with a sense of wonder about it all. Come ponder with me. This year is about observation and perspective.

This blog is interactive and is at its best when comments are left and opinions shared, lively discussions generated, and perhaps with your favorite beverage.

I would love to read your comments. Please, don't be shy...







Friday, February 25, 2011

We Can't Rig Sails to Our Cars

"If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country’s oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week. That’s not gallons, but barrels. Small changes in buying habits can make big differences. Becoming a less energy-dependent nation may just need to start with a good breakfast."


This was written by Steven L. Hopp in Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It was written in 2007 but is still pertinent today, maybe even more so. We are so concerned with gas prices as should we be, but there is more involved that the cars we drive ourselves. This book is well worth the read.

Some days there are no posts...some days a lot. This was important enough to add to today. I may repeat it ocassionally for emphasis.

Please know I make no money from things I may mention on my blog (other than my own artwork and other makings that I sell separately). I recommend things becuse I like them or think they are valuable or useful. We need to do more free sharing.

Thank you, I'll get off my soapbox now, although it does give me a vantage point I don't usually have from the low to the ground perspective with which I was biologically blessed.

Coments? Yeah...if you want.
 

2 comments:

gayle said...

I thought that quote was absolutely amazing :) it is difficult to get locally produced food in our immediate area, but I'm trying to make more use of our garden :) thank you for your thoughts xx

welsh said...

I was amazed too...one meal a week. Not much to ask for such a big savings. We are fortunate to live in the midst of farmlands and have an abundant supply except for winter, but I try to freeze and dehydrate what I can...bless you on your journey.