Pages

The Ponder Days

I am just a sojourner, an artist wandering through life with a sense of wonder about it all. Come ponder with me. This year is about observation and perspective.

This blog is interactive and is at its best when comments are left and opinions shared, lively discussions generated, and perhaps with your favorite beverage.

I would love to read your comments. Please, don't be shy...







Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Raw Breakfast ~ Bucky Granola (gluten free)

I don't have to worry about gluten, but for those of you that do, this breakfast recipe is gluten free.  I was waiting to get the buckwheat in the dehydrator so I could get them in my tummy! I am usually careful about what I dehydrate together because of possible cross contamination of odors...like onions with apples, etc. I have been wanting to make onion bread, but wanted to wait until after the flax crackers and Buckies were done. I had the flax crackers in and then had to wait for the buckwheat to sprout so I have had a few days of a partially filled dehydrator. It IS more efficient if you can think of things to dry that can go in together to fill up your trays.

First - making the Buckies (dehydrated buckwheat groats)

Sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat is great and can be used in a lot of things. Many people think buckwheat is a grain, but is actually a fruit seed from a broadleaf plant that is similar to rhubarb. You can buy buckwheat groats at any health food store.  I always buy organic anyway, but you want to make sure you have organic to ensure sprouting. Sprouted seeds are easier to digest.

Soak 1 cup of buckwheat groats in filtered water for about 8 hours. I like to do mine overnight so they are ready to rinse in the morning. Rinse thoroughly in a large strainer or sieve. I find they will slip through the holes of most colanders, Allow the buckheat to remain on the strainer and place it over a container to allow for drainage. Set aside on the counter in an area that receives light. Rinse well every several  hours until you see tails beginning to sprout from the seeds. This may take 1 to 2 days from the initial rinsing. Spread in thin layers on dehydrator sheets lined with teflex, or on cookie sheets lined with wax paper if you are planning to use your oven (remember, lowest temp for oven with door slightly open). Temperatures over 115 degrees usually will destroy raw plant enzymes, but if you don't have a dehydrator, and want to make these, your oven will have to do, right? You can also put them in the sun, just be careful of critters. Dehydrate 8 hours at 115 degrees. Some people will say 3 hours, but I like to make sure there is no moisture left, so I just put them in before I go to bed. You can't over-dry them.  Oven times will vary. They will be very light and crispy when done. You can use them for so many things, you may want to make a larger batch. They will keep indefinitely stored in an airtight jar.

So here's the Bucky Granola recipe. I eat 1/2 cup of it with 1/2 cup of almond milk and a packet of stevia. My current batch was made without raisins because I was out of them. Experiment with this and try different things.
I use all raw, organic ingredients.

Bucky Granola
Buckies (from a 1 cup soaked batch)
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup hemp seed
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup goji berries
2Tbsp sesame seeds
2Tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 cup dried coconut
1/4 cup raisins
2Tbsp sunflower seeds

Mix together and store in airtight container. Makes 2 and 3/4 cups. Enjoy!
Let us know what else you're doing with your Buckies!
Don't you love the shadows from the bowl?


2 comments:

violette said...

this sounds so yummy! I must try it......thank you so much!

Love, Violette xo

welsh said...

My pleasure to share.